Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Serving Those Around Us

My absolute favorite part of my college experience so far has been the opportunity I have had to serve as a Program Director for a Y-Serve group called Medallion Manor.  I have the wonderful opportunity to visit an adult special needs home every week.  I have learned many life stories, I have been wrapped in many hugs and have connected with these sweet residents more than I ever could have imagined.  My eyes have been opened in dozens of ways and I am so grateful I have this opportunity to serve.

Tonight I want to record my experience I had while bowling with a few residents from the location in Springville, UT.  We had five residents meet us at the bowling center in the WILK building on BYU campus.  When they walked in, I immediately noticed that one of the residents had brought his own bag with his stellar bowling gear.  This sweet gentleman is probably in his 70s and has the softest, sweetest voice I have ever heard.  I brought him down to the tables by the bowling lanes, helped him put on his special bowling shoes and brought his bowling ball (with his name engraved on it of course) to the ball rack.  He then pulled out a glove and asked me to put it on his left hand--his level of coolness shot way up in my head when I saw him in that glove.  It was the sweetest thing I had ever seen, I could just tell how much he loved bowling.  His name was slightly worn off his bowling ball, his shoes were scratched up and his glove had a few seams sticking out.  I asked him how long he had been bowling and he proudly said "Six whole years".  He told me about the class he had taken in his sweet, soft voice and sat there patiently until it was his turn to bowl.  When all the names were entered in, he was up first to bowl.  He carefully walked up, slowly adjusted his bowling ball and placed his fragile fingers in the holes.  He stepped up, swung the ball and curved it directly in the center of the lane.  He ended that round hitting eight of the ten pins, way better than a lot of the volunteers!  He came back from each turn looking sad however.  He's not really one to show much emotion so I wondered if he truly was sad or if he didn't want to show emotion.  I couldn't tell whether he was disappointed in himself or if he just didn't smile very often.  Then, this sweet man walked up and bowled an amazing strike.  He completely nailed it.  He turned around and flashed the biggest smile I had ever seen. Long story short, he smoked all of the volunteers.  And for the rest of the night, I couldn't get the picture of him smiling out of my head.

Something so simple as getting a strike in a game of bowling made him so so happy.  He was so talented at bowling and had a capability far greater than my own to curve the ball just right so it landed right in the middle of the lane.  I was so worried about him all night, wondering if he was even enjoying his time with us.  Then he smiled.  A beautiful, meaningful smile.  It was in that moment that I wished so badly that I could give him the opportunity to live in a body with perfect mental and physical capabilities.  I wished that I could just flip a switch on that would allow him to enjoy every single joy in the world.  On the way out, the other residents were asking him how he had done in our game.  He gently smiled to the floor as I said, "you completely beat all of us, didn't you?"  He looked up at me and flashed that beautiful, ear-to-ear smile I had seen before.  I then realized that this sweet man could indeed feel joy, and at that moment bowling had brought him so much joy.  It was the moment that he proved to himself he could get a strike that he smiled and gained confidence.  He proved to himself that he could accomplish a task many people might think he couldn't do.  Even if he may have mental or physical disabilities, he was so capable of being the best bowler of the night and that brought him so much joy.

I thought for a long time tonight about these wonderful residents and the joys we are able to bring to them by simply being their friends and planning activities for them.  The joy we see on their faces brings even more joy to us.  There is nothing more I love than being able to make these residents smile, even if it is for just a second.  I love seeing them find the small joys in their days.  This sweet man was able to set a goal of getting a strike and expressed joy when he was able to accomplish that goal.  Every person, even if they struggle with disabilities, can feel joy.  Every person has the capability to feel joy, my most favorite feeling.  Tonight I was able to strengthen my belief that we are all sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father who sent us here to experience joy.  No matter what hardships, trials, or disabilities we have we are all able to feel joy just as this sweet man felt after finally bowling a strike.  Our Heavenly Father knew that we would all find things that bring us joy, even things as simple as bowling.  This feeling of joy is universal, we are all striving to live a life filled with joy.  It is my goal to find joy in the little parts of my life, just as these residents are able to do.  They are able to feel and express joy when they are able to accomplish tasks and complete goals.  They are a wonderful example to me of feeling joy when I accomplish something, and being grateful for the small blessings and capabilities in my life.  I hope to be able to share the joys I find every day in living a live on this beautiful Earth, setting goals and discovering my capabilities.  I am blessed with amazing opportunities, such as serving the people of Medallion Manor, that show me new ways to find and appreciate the joy in my life every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment